Part-time Data and Design Coordinator, Benefits Access
Hunger Free New York City (HFNYC), part of Hunger Free America, strives to build a nonpartisan, grassroots movement to enact the policies and programs needed to end hunger in New York City and ensure that all New Yorkers have sufficient access to nutritious food.
A significant aspect of HFNYC’s work is to connect eligible NYC residents to the public nutrition benefits (primarily SNAP / food stamps) for which they’re eligible. Towards that end, we’ve developed Neighborhood Guides to Food & Assistance, which contain information on SNAP, WIC, School / Summer Meals and nutrition programs for seniors as well as information on food pantries and soup kitchens throughout the city. Each Guide contains a detailed map showing the locations of all these services. We have Guides covering all five boroughs in the city, in addition to a Citywide version. All are available in English and Spanish and a few have been translated into Chinese, Russian, French, Polish, and Korean. Each year all the information contained in the Guides must be updated. We print and distribute over 200,000 copies annually and distribute them to hundreds of agencies in all five boroughs.
Part of HFNYC’s and HFA’s strategic plan is to expand our database of food resources nationwide, and make this information available to our partner organizations in various ways.
Job Description: Reporting directly to the Data Manager, Benefits Access, the Data and Design Coordinator, Benefits Access, is responsible for assisting all aspects of the distribution and creation of HFNYC’s Neighborhood Guides to Food and Assistance, and assistance in updating listings.
Distribution of Neighborhood Guides
- Maintain Guides’ order form on the website
- Respond to phone call and email requests for Guides
- Input and track orders in Salesforce
- Coordinate shipment of bulk orders with fulfillment center
- Pack and ship small orders
- Track inventory and order statistics, re-order Guides when necessary
Annual update and development of Neighborhood Guides
- Contact and update listings that have not been confirmed or updated in over a year
- Track and update agency information in Salesforce
- Utilize Adobe InDesign to update Guides, inputting and formatting agency information and preparing files for printer and web
- Utilize QGIS mapping program and Adobe Illustrator to plot sites and format maps
- Maintain current Guides for all languages we have translated
- Work with the Data Manager to develop a streamlined Guides creation process to improve efficiency and scalability to other cities and languages
- Assist in searching for potential sources of funding to increase the number of Guides distributed
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Illustrator and InDesign
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with GIS or other mapping programs
- Experience with Salesforce
- Able to lift and carry (short distance) 40 lb. boxes
- Familiarity with NYC neighborhoods
The ideal candidate will be an organized self-starter who works well independently. S/he will have good communication and interpersonal skills, responding to messages and emails in a timely manner and should be comfortable speaking on the phone. S/he will have demonstrated a commitment to fighting hunger/poverty and be comfortable working with low-income communities.
An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree is preferred, although candidates with relevant work experience will be considered.
Salary and Benefits: Salary and benefits will be competitive with other similar positions in nonprofit organizations.
This is a part-time position with an expected workload of 15-20 hours per week.
Hunger Free America / NYC is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include Data and Design Coordinator in the subject line. Applicants sending resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Or fax to: 646.350.3833