Director of Development
Hunger Free AmericaTM
Hunger Free America (founded in 1983 as the New York City Coalition Against Hunger) is a dynamic and highly effective national anti-hunger progressive advocacy and direct service organization that is based in New York City but works in all 50 states.
The Nation has written that the organization has grown into “one of the leading direct service and advocacy organizations on hunger and poverty in the nation.”
Our mission is to build a nonpartisan, grass-roots movement to enact the progressive public policies and programs needed to end domestic hunger and ensure that all Americans have sufficient access to nutritious food.
Our long-term goal is not just to ameliorate the problem, but also to build the people’s movement necessary to enact the economic and public policies needed to end hunger entirely. Given that hunger drains our economy and tears at our moral and civic fabric, we know that eliminating it will boost the nation both economically and spiritually. Towards that end, we’ve adopted the motto: “Ending hunger lifts us all.”
Hunger Free America is looking to immediately fill its full-time Director of Development position which is based in New York City and reports directly to the organization’s CEO. This position is vital in helping Hunger Free America achieve its historic national objectives.
Working closely with, and reporting directly to, Hunger Free America’s high-profile CEO Director, duties for this position include:
- With guidance and assistance from the CEO and Board of Directors, writing and implementing a comprehensive and aggressive – but realistic – development plan to increase resources from both unrestricted and restricted donations from major gifts, small donors, online donations, corporations, and foundations.
- Designing and implementing all the development and fundraising activities of the organization.
- Working with the existing Manager of Institutional Giving and Evaluation (which will report to this position) in identifying, researching, writing, and pitching foundation, corporate, and government funding proposals, and in developing and submitting financial and programmatic progress reports to funders.
- Ensuring all deadlines are met for letters of inquiry, applications, and reports.
- Developing an expanded individual donor program, including an expanded direct mail and/or online program and an increased utilization of fundraising events.
- Planning and coordinating all fundraising and prospecting events.
- Creating and implementing a major gifts program and a planned giving program.
- Facilitating interactions between the CEO and members of the Board of Directors with existing and potential funders.
- Developing the new Young Professional Council.
- Working in conjunction with any additional staff and volunteers engaged in fundraising on behalf of Hunger Free America.
- Coordinating with other Hunger Free America staff written and online promotional materials for the organization.
Desired Skills and Experience
The Hunger Free America is seeking an accomplished nonprofit organization or political campaign development/fundraising professional with a minimum of four years of development/fundraising experience, with a proven track record of successfully raising funds. Direct experience in grant-writing, grant management, donor solicitation, and donor relations is ideal.
Ideal candidates will also meet as many of these requirements as possible:
- A bachelor's degree. Extra points for a relevant graduate or professional degree.
- Comfort and skill in asking people and entities for money.
- Someone willing to roll up her or his sleeves to directly get the work done.
- A demonstrated commitment to, and passion about, Hunger Free America’s mission to end hunger nationwide.
- A working knowledge of key issues related to hunger, poverty, and/or the nonprofit sector.
- An outgoing, engaging personality.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills for a variety of audiences. Very strong writer is preferred.
- Stellar organizational multi-tasking skills and an ability to meet tight deadlines without fail.
- Proven ability to collaborate professionally and effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.
Hunger Free America is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, gender identities, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary will be competitive with other similar positions in nonprofit organizations. Hunger Free America offers significant benefits to all full-time employees, including a strong health insurance plan. Employees also receive generous vacation, holiday, and sick time. In addition, employees have opportunities for training and professional development in their work for one of the nation’s most respected and innovative anti-hunger organizations. This is a great opportunity to grow with an organization making history.
How to Apply:
To apply, submit a resume and a cover letter detailing your qualifications for this specific position to:
Please mark your e-mail subject line or envelope “Director of Development Position.”
Hunger Free New York City
Bilingual (Spanish) Benefits Specialist
Hunger Free New York City (HFNYC) strives to build a nonpartisan, grassroots movement to enact the policies and programs needed to end hunger in New York City and ensure that all New Yorkers have sufficient access to nutritious food.
A significant aspect of HFNYC’s work is to connect eligible residents to SNAP / food stamp benefits and to assist them during the application process. The receipt of SNAP for those eligible individuals and families contributes to improved nutrition and reduces the financial strain of trying to pay for other household expenses on a limited budget. The program has expanded significantly in the city over recent years, with over 1.7 million New Yorkers now in receipt of SNAP benefits. However, hundreds of thousands more are eligible for but not receiving SNAP.
The Benefits Specialist will work as a member of our United Way of NYC-funded Food Supports Connections program. The primary responsibility will be to provide SNAP / food stamps eligibility screenings and application assistance from several community-based host locations spread throughout NYC. The Specialist will also attend community events to perform outreach and screenings, and to conduct presentations on SNAP and other nutrition benefits. All work must be entered into a database in order to track client progress.
The Specialist will conduct follow-up to ensure that applicants receive the correct amount of monthly benefits in a timely manner, and help to resolve cases in which this has not occurred.
HFNYC is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, sexual orientations, ages, faiths, economic and social backgrounds, genders, physical abilities, and national origins are strongly encouraged to apply.
*ONLY BILINGUAL CANDIDATES (SPANISH, English) will be considered for this position.
Experience in: anti-hunger/nutrition; benefits screening (esp. for SNAP / food stamps); working in Queens low-income communities. High-energy self-starter with strong communications, problem solving, organizing, and inter-personal skills, and a demonstrated commitment to fighting poverty and hunger. Comfort working in diverse neighborhoods and with diverse people.
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is preferred, although people with significant, relevant, work experience will be considered.
Salary and Benefits
Salary and benefits will be competitive with other similar positions in nonprofit organizations, including a strong health insurance / benefits plan. The employee will also have opportunities for training and professional development.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Be sure to include Spanish Benefits Specialist in the subject line. Applicants sending resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
Or fax to: 646.358.4917 – include Spanish Benefits Specialist in subject line.