Hunger Free America (HFA), in conjunction with some of the nation’s most effective anti-hunger and poverty organizations, is in its first year of the Anti-Hunger Corps (AHC), a 20 member AmeriCorps VISTA program in California and New York. This program engages VISTA members and partnering organizations in moving families beyond the soup kitchen by breaking down barriers and providing improved access to healthful, nutritious foods. The AHC VISTA program aims to address hunger, poverty, and build the capacity of the agencies that address these issues. Members will assist unemployed and under-employed people obtain job training, job placement, and financial literacy services; improve access to food from government and nonprofit sources for targeted populations in particular and food insecure people in general; enable residents of food deserts to access healthier foods through farmers markets and community gardens; more low-income children to obtain free school breakfasts and summer meals; effective nonprofit groups fighting hunger and poverty to raise more money and recruit and manage more volunteers, particularly high-impact and skilled volunteers.
• Living Allowance: Receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance to cover basic expenses.
• Relocation Allowance: If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
•Healthcare Benefit: Choose between reimbursement for healthcare or a healthcare plan. Dental and vision are also included.
• End-of-Service Award: Choice of Education Award or cash stipend.
• Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE): NCE is a unique hiring path which makes it easier for federal agencies to hire you upon completion of service.
•Child Care: You may be eligible to receive a childcare benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
And many more benefits! View the full listing of AmeriCorps VISTA benefits here.
This is a one-year, full-time position. You are expected to be available for the needs of your community and project at all times, including days, nights and weekends. Because AmeriCorps VISTA service requires a full immersion in the project and community, there are restrictions on outside full-time employment, along with some restrictions on political and religious activities. For more information, please review the AmeriCorps VISTA Terms, Conditions and Benefits information available here - http://bit.ly/1dAs2FM.
You are responsible for finding your own housing.
How to Apply:
For more information about the program and to apply for the positions, click on the following links:
Regional Food Bank of Northeastern NY: Latham, NY
San Diego Hunger Coalition: San Diego, CA
Cuba Cultural Center: Cuba, NY
Foodlink: Rochester, NY
GardenShare: Canton, NY
Hunger Free America: New York, NY
- Benefits Access Outreach Coordinator: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=88956&fromSearch=true
- Communications Associate: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=88960&fromSearch=true
- Development Associate: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=88963&fromSearch=true
- Food Access & Data Management VISTA: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=88980&fromSearch=true
- Strategic Volunteerism Coordinator: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=88966&fromSearch=true
- Child Nutrition Capacity Building VISTA: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=89375&fromSearch=true
Interfaith Sustainable Food Collaborative: Sebastopol, CA
Second Harvest of Orange County: Orange County, CA